Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Irma Stern The Artist

Irma Stern


Irma Stern was born in 1894 Schweiser – Reneke , a small town in South Africa and passed away in Cape town on August 23, 1966. When the war started they moved back to Germany and stayed there until 1920, with constant travel, all the travel influenced Irma’s work. Irma wasn’t recognized as an artist until the 1940’s. In 1926 Irma got married to Dr Johannes Prinz the marriage didn’t really last long because they got a divorce in 1934. Irma travelled a lot she visited various places like the Congo region, Spain, Italy, Paris, Zanzibar, Berlin and more. These trips open the doors to creativity, she got great ideas for her painting, she also collected artifacts from the different places she visited, they became part of her life.  She was an amazing artist that’s why I chose her for my case study.

Her parents bought her a house in 1927 in Cape town named “The Firs” in Rosebank. She lived there until the day she died. That house then became the Irma Stern Museum in 1971. This house is located in Chapel Road, Rosebank, Cape Town. She surrounded herself with the artifacts that she collected when she travelled. Her tastes were catholic. But her eye was faultless. Which you can see from her fine collection of African carvings, masks and textiles. I went here in 2007 when I did my foundation course in art and design at Cput. The house is just so amazing, a house of a true artist I used one of her pantings as inspiration for a project where we had to use the same colors and technique from the painting we have chosen but instead of doing the same person she painted do one of ourselves. I loved working on this project.
Her Studio





The one I did

                                     

Irma had a love for colour.

Her way of working in her studio demanded concentration, she use to put a do not disturb sign and continued working while chain smoking and drinking strong black coffee, She loved doing things herself she did the framing of her work, to exhibitions to arranging  sales for her pieces.

Use of material                                      

She worked in a range of materials including, oils, water color, gouache, charcoal, as well as ceramics and sculpture.

One of her techniques was to sometimes use thick paint applied with a knife, to create emotion in her paintings, she painted landscapes, portraits, figure, still life’s.
                                                          The Hunt, oil. Irma Stern. 1926
                                                           www.irmastern.co.za/2.htm
                                          Still life with Antirrhinums. oil. Irma stern. 1963
                                                         www.irmastern.co.za/3.htm
                                                     Arab Priest.oil. irma stern. 1945
                                                          www.irmastern.co.za/5.htm
                                              Portrait of Irma Stern's mother.oil. Irma Stern
                                                        www.irmastern.co.za/7.htm
                                             Ballet Dancers. oil on canvas. Irma Stern. 1943


How Irma would market herself was with exhibitions, she held them in different places for example, Germany, Berlin, Venice Biennale, Johannesburg, cape town, and many more



How this is relevant to my work, Art classes is how my life started, I started drawing when I was in Primary school, we didn’t have art classes in school so I use to draw picture for my mom. She heard about this artist Suzette laten who teaches art. So I started going there when I was in grade 8 .When I started there, it was one day a week after school, I couldn’t wait for that day every week that’s how much I loved it. Before I started there I didn’t realize that this was the sort of thing I want to do. But since I went there I just knew. So here’s a few pictures of how it all started I admit they aren’t great. So Irma’s work influences me, to not just look at one thing for inspiration, and just do what I love.




2002-2003
I believe Irma was an artist who saw beauty in every place and everything she saw.
How Irma market’s herself now is she left the world but her artworks and home remain here. With her museum in Cape town.
www.traveldk.com
www.capetown.travel
www.secretcapetown.wordpress.com/2010/09/26/irmastern-museum/
www.irmastern.co.za
Cullen, P. Freemantle,B. Isaac,S. Miles,E. Van Rensburg,W. 2003. Irma stern : Expressions of a Journey. Standard Bank Gallery. Johannesburg

2 comments:

  1. Mariska you have covered the background of the artist and how her work impacts on your practise, and good images. However the main body of your writing needs to follow the prescribed template; artistic philosophy, influences, innovation, use of materials and techniques, marketing. Write specifically how we see this in her work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mariska, I am so proud to see the above work! Congratulations!!!!! I still remember the days in my Art Studio and especially the day you have to do your portrait study in front of the mirror....Well done! And keep it up!
    Irma Stern is also one of my favourite artist....and I enjoy her work as much as you do.

    ReplyDelete